Sunday, February 11, 2007

Reality Cheque

Like all wide-eyed inductees into the world of salaries, bonuses and credit, I've been spending my money as if I printed it. The feeling of receiving a few thousand dollars a month is overwhelming at first, but thereafter it's a joyride. Suddenly you can afford the things you couldn't as the proverbial poor student; suddenly a lot of things don't matter anymore. There's always money, and even if it's spent, it can be earned back.

I've diligently kept records of my expenditure for the past 12 months, always intending to look at them at some point, but never putting aside time to.

So with my financial adviser pestering me for a decision on her company's latest insurance product, I finally whipped out the figures this afternoon and did the sums for three randomly selected months.

In October 2006, after deducting the fixed stuff: my CPF contribution, my contribution to household expenses and utilities bills, my mobile phone bill, my parents' allowance, my university study loan--and the random stuff: food, transport, clothing, grooming (haircuts and massages), entertainment, impulse buys, wedding ang pows, ad hoc treats for family and friends...I saved the princely sum of $117.69.

Wow. I think I need more than just insurance. I need something that can save me from myself!

1 comment:

Emily said...

LOL. Sounds so familiar. I'm exactly the same way. I am still as broke as I was in college.