Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bad Disco

Some club nights are like bad sex: you go through the motions, trying to convince yourself you're enjoying it, worrying that you'll just get up and walk out before anything happens, wasting the effort. Nevertheless, if you persist long enough, sheer friction overtakes everything else and there is some climax. But it is an empty one, with no real sense of release.

So it was last night at Home Club. There to check out the post-renovation decor with two friends, I found myself standing in the middle of the dance floor most of the time, allowing the music to pass through me like vapour. All around me youngsters were screaming with excitement as each song began, while I wondered what song could possibly evoke the same response in me, having heard them so many times in this way already. Eventually one came on, and I danced myself into a sincere frenzy for three minutes.

A while later, as we sat outside the club, I thought about how quickly I tire of these things. In 2005, I was going mad for the whole experience. Barely two months ago, I re-embraced it with great enthusiasm. Now, this. Then I had a strange thought: if I fell in love with a girl who recently discovered indie disco, would she renew the experience for me, or would it be a case of right person, wrong time? When we fuck, would I relish her, or just gaze emptily at her young breasts, wishing this had happened two years ago?

No comments: