Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Stranger on the Train

There are girls who are cute. There are girls who are pretty. There are girls who, with some self-convincing, can appear cute or pretty. These girls inspire protective, macho shit tendencies in guys.

But every once in a while, there is a girl so goddamn beautiful that all she makes you feel is weakness. I saw one such girl on the train to work today. I kept stealing glances at her, every faculty in me quivering; trying desperately to memorise her face, her aura and her manner in the minutes I had. I did this because I knew I would forget them--and maybe even the fact that I saw her--by the end of the day.

Hours later, some of it remains. I could easily mention what it is, but in many ways, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think, therefore, that it is sufficient to record that I experienced it like an arrow, rather than defile it by reducing it to misunderstandable, incomplete words.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I smell plagiarism.
For all your talk on "white supremacy" your "Stranger on the Train" sounds a wee bit Bukowski, no?

The Empty Signifier said...

pmckcon,

I do not know you, and I did not know of Bukowski prior to your comment. I was merely writing to capture a special moment I experienced, and not trying to pass off anyone's work as my own. If what I wrote happens to resemble the work of an author you particularly admire, then it is sheer coincidence. Things like that happen--please have the graciousness to accept that.

Even if there is cause for suspicion, I would appreciate a little more tact than the smug manner in which you "smell" my "plagiarism", as if you know better--as if you've caught me red-handed; and the patronising manner in which you talk about Bukowski as if it's a given that I'd even know who he is. Not everyone belongs in your world--please remember that.

If your underlying grouse with me is my "White Supremacy" post, and you are offended because you happen to be Caucasian, then I invite you to read that post again. Carefully.

Cheers.

vanilla pudding said...

thank you for writing this. i think it was beautifully written.