Sunday, March 18, 2007

Good Ol' Fashioned White Supremacy

There's nothing a little beer can't fix. So even if no-one else felt the strangeness of being the only Chinese male in a room of four Chinese girls and their Caucasian boyfriends; even if no-one else was a little overwhelmed by their Caucasian-ness and annoyed by their repeated flouting of the non-smoking rule; even if no-one realised my karaoke songs were being queued forever because everyone was inserting songs ahead of those I'd chosen; I was soon one with them in inebriation, hamming it up with air guitar and bad rock star impersonations.

And who am I to talk, really, when the only music I like, the only music I've ever listened to, and the only music I can be arsed to sing is made by people with surnames like Anderson and Butler?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was doing my best to make sure no one got shut out of the singing too long but it isn't easy to keep tabs on everything and everyone all the time, so I'm sorry if you felt like your songs were being queued forever. :( I do remember bumping them up the priority list on several occasions though, including inserting Idioteque as next song the moment I found it, for you to sing.

In the interests of accuracy, I'll also just point out that there were 4 Chinese girls, 3 Caucasian boyfriends, and 2 Caucasian non-boyfriends. Can I help it if you're the only Chinese male I know who shares my karaoke tastes? :)

The Empty Signifier said...

It's cool--where karaoke is concerned, ten people is probably six people too many. Yup, I know you bumped up my songs a couple of times, but people were counter-bumping too. That's what happens with a big group. I still had a blast, though! What a awesome song selection...

Anonymous said...

Aiyo! These ang mohs! So inconsiderate!
Especially Alec. How can he not respect the proper song queue!

I suggest we all get together and cane him once each.
You can book yourself to go first but I will sneakily bump myself up ahead of you!

:)

Unknown said...

Song queue! David you told me that the button was for ordering SPGs. 5 expats and 3 local girls, this karoke place damn cannot make it man. Next week go Orchard Towers oreddy. David get bumped up, Dom get bumped up, I get bumped up so everyone sure win.

Unknown said...

My typing also cannot make it. Sorry Don.

Matt said...

Dude,

I was one of the 5 caucasians, flouting the no smoking rule, knocking back beer after beer. Your Brett Anderson stylings were very impressive. I hope we can drag you along/you can drag me along for more karaoke around Alec and Michelle's wedding. I had a riot. Though I can't promise not to flout any no smoking rules. I will at least have the good grace to import a girlfriend, rather than exacerbate the local shortage.